New members welcome – lets try and make this one a little more fun and a little less business – bring a build or set to show off, bring some figs or spare parts to trade!
State of the LUG – 2023
Hi all – Happy New Year, and welcome to our new members! It’s been a minute since we had an update, so let’s talk about what we have coming up in 2023.
If you are waiting for the next update on LUGBulk – so are we. We should see the parts list by mid January, and we will move fast when that happens. Next steps are:
- LEGO releases list
- Eligible LUGBulk Participants select 4-5 elements
- Run Mock order for all participants
- Use Mock order to reduce list to final 85 elements
- Run the real order
- Submit to LEGO
Watch this space and your email, we will need to move fast!
We will be at the Holiday Inn on March 31-April 1. Save the Dates!
If you are planning on having a table to display your LEGO Builds, we will be taking signups shortly. We’ve also had some interest from kids who’d like to display, so we will be discussing how that’s going to work.
Meetings will continue – we want to try and have a meeting about once a month, so we will be scheduling something soon.
We will also be bringing back monthly build challenges – if you have an idea for a theme, post in the comments!
New Challenge Build – Vancouver Island!
This is a really different one – we are doing a cross-Canada collaboration project, and our LUG was paired with Mid-Island LUG from Vancouver Island. So we want to see some builds based from there!
This one might need some research on your part! They did give us some ideas and starting points though:
- Vancouver island architecture: The Bastion, The Empress hotel, Coombs (goats!), Chemainus, Ladysmith, Cape Scott lighthouse
- They are BIG on Outdoor activities biking, skiing, surfing
- Fishing, Logging are major industries
- There’s a lot of small islands, so they have a lot of Ferry Boats
- Wildlife can be things like Orca, Deer, Elk, Cougars
- Dogwood is provincial flower
- They also asked us to stay away from Indigenous Peoples iconography – we want to be sure we are respectful of cultural appropriation here.
Due date is August 20, and we are going to actually bring these builds together for a photoshoot if possible (if it’s not possible, we will figure something out then). Submit pictures on your build to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meeting – July 5, 7pm at the Geocentre
Drop by and hang out with your fellow LUG Members!
- Bring your latest build to show off!
- Discussing the Canadian LUG Project
- Blocks on the Rock ’22 planning!
4th Annual NewfoundLUG Showcase
The 4th Annual NewfoundLUG Showcase will be a display of unique builds using LEGO bricks. Formally located in the Bricks & Minifigs store Location, we have outgrown the area and will now be in the Holiday Inn. There will be displays, activities, Door Prizes and Bricks & Minifigs will have a retail area at the event.
Next Event- NewfoundLUG at AvEx 7
NewfoundLUG will have a manned display at Avalon Expo 7, Sat-Sun, Sept. 18-19, 2021, Holiday Inn, Portugal Cove Road, St. John’s, NL, Canada. Here are some quick notes:
- We are being given six (6) tables (likely 2.5 x 6′) to use for display during the event.
- We are being given up to six (6) event passes. The LUG may provide a couple more, pending interest.
- We will be limiting each participating member to 1-2 small sets or MOCs, to ensure everyone who wants to participate is able to.
- If you are interested in participating, we are asking that you notify an exec member as soon as possible, and we will add you to our Facebook thread for the event.
We have now posted our Table Staff Sign Up Sheet to Google Drive. We ask that any interested/participating LUG members type their name into their preferred time slots for the weekend. This really helps us organize and schedule the event.
Since this will be more of a “shift-work” type event, we would strongly recommend filling out a display card and small write-up on your sets/MOCs so guests can read about your display even if you are not present.
Links to the sign up sheet and display cards posted on our FB page and in our September newsletter.
Reach out with any questions!
Next Event: Blocks on the Rock!
Our next event and first since the pandemic is coming up on August 28th and 29th, 2021!
Click here to visit the event website!
Click here to follow the event on Facebook!
Well, it sure is an unprecedented time in history right now. While we are all self-isolating, there’s still stuff to do!
On May 6th, 2020 at 6pm, NewfoundLUG will hold its Annual General Meeting. We will be electing the Executive for the next two years, and taking care of any business that needs the voice of the membership.
That meeting will be telepresence meeting – the specific technology has yet to be determined. If you can’t attend, please consider a voting proxy, someone you trust who will submit a vote for you on any discussion topics. Ensure your voice is heard!
To ensure you are notified of how the meeting will be conducted, look on Facebook or email newfoundlug-AT-gmail-DOT-com to let us know you are interested.
As well, we are going to be running a series of small, themed builds with a draw for a set. Stay tuned for those, or check us out on Facebook for more news and discussion!
Third Annual NewfoundLUG Showcase
Our Third Annual NewfoundLUG Showcase is coming up on February 22 from 10-4 at Bricks & Minifigures.
This is your chance to shine! All builds welcome, be it a custom-designed MOC or a cool set. We will be looking to firm up who is bringing something in early February, but start thinking now about what you want to bring for display!
And don’t forget to tell your friends and family to come by and see what we have to show off!
Meeting January 7th, Upcoming Events
Hi all – I promised I’d be better at updating the site so our non FaceBook users get updated. It looks like I have at least one New Year’s resolution I am already “bending.”
There is a LUG meeting January 7th, 7pm at Bricks & Minifigures on Blackmarsh Road. Our agenda is:
- Christmas Update – what did you get?
- LUG Bulk Update
- BrickLink tutorial
Additionally, there are some upcoming events you should keep in mind:
- February 22nd 2020 is our Third Annual Showcase – this is when we show off all our builds for the year!
- March 5th is the next meeting after this one
- May 6th is our Annual General Meeting (AGM)- We will be electing Executive Officers for the next 2 years at this meeting.
If you want to be eligible to vote at the AGM , you need to have attended at least one other meeting or event since the last one (Exceptions can be made for active group members who are not local to the Northeast Avalon – talk to your executive!)